Vision for English
At Lanesend Primary School, we want our children to be able to speak and write fluently in order to share their ideas, opinions and emotions with others. Children should read a wide range of books for pleasure, in order to develop culturally, emotionally, intellectually and socially. This will enable them to communicate confidently and effectively in writing and orally and support them to develop a love of learning throughout their life.
Characteristics of a Quality Reader
· Excellent phonic knowledge and skills.
· Fluency and accuracy in reading across a wide range of contexts throughout the curriculum.
· Knowledge of an extensive and rich vocabulary.
· An excellent comprehension of texts.
· The motivation to read for both study and for pleasure.
· Extensive knowledge through having read a rich and varied range of texts
Expectations of a Quality Reader
· To understand texts
· To read words accurately
· To read with expression demonstrating an awareness of punctuation
· To read fluently at an appropriate pace
· To skim and scan texts effectively
· To read a range of texts (both fiction and non-fiction)
· To read for a variety of purposes
· To evaluate an author’s intentions
· To use inference and deduction when reading
· To make sensible predictions based on prior reading
· To identify and compare themes across different texts
· To retell stories confidently
Aspirations for the Future
Readers can have future careers in the following jobs:
· Publicity Assistant
· Stage Director
· Song Writer
· Entertainment Manager
· Social Media Consultant
· Newspaper Editor
· Proof Reader