Vision for Art and Design
At Lanesend Primary School, we want our children to be able to be creative and engaged, with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. They should be critical thinkers and develop a deeper understanding of the subject, as well as art forms that have shaped our history and culture.
Characteristics of a Quality Artist
· A love of art and an appreciation of its educational, cultural and entertainment values.
· The ability to use visual language skilfully and convincingly (for example, line, shape, pattern, colour, texture, form) to express emotions, interpret observations, convey insights and accentuate their individuality.
· The ability to communicate fluently in visual and tactile form.
· The ability to draw confidently and adventurously from observation, memory and imagination.
· The ability to explore and invent marks, develop and deconstruct ideas and communicate perceptively and powerfully through purposeful drawing in 2D, 3D or digital media.
· An impressive knowledge and understanding of other artists, craft makers and designers.
· The ability to think and act like creative practitioners by using their knowledge and understanding to inform, inspire and interpret ideas, observations and feelings.
· Independence, initiative and originality which they can use to develop their creativity.
· The ability to select and use materials, processes and techniques skilfully and inventively to realise intentions and capitalise on the unexpected.
· The ability to reflect on, analyse and critically evaluate their own work and that of others.
Expectations of a Quality Artist
· To develop ideas
· To master techniques
· To take inspiration from the greats
Aspirations for the Future
Effective artists can have future careers in the following jobs:
· Wardrobe master
· Author and illustrator
· Furniture designer
· Fashion designer