At Lanesend Primary School, we want to provide our children with a real life context for learning. Through our DT curriculum, children should be inspired by engineers and designers from the local community and have opportunities to develop their technical understanding by designing and creating a range of products for a purpose.
Characteristics of a Quality Designer
- A love of designing and a knowledge of up-to-date technological innovations in materials, products and systems.
- Significant levels of originality and the willingness to take creative risks to produce innovative ideas and prototypes.
- An excellent attitude to learning and independent working.
- The ability to use time efficiently and work constructively and productively with others.
- The ability to carry out thorough research, show initiative and ask questions to develop an exceptionally detailed knowledge of users’ needs.
- The ability to act as responsible designers and makers, working ethically, using finite materials carefully and working safely.
- Thorough knowledge of which tools, equipment and materials to use to make their products.
- The ability to manage risks exceptionally well to manufacture products safely and hygienically.
Expectations of a Quality Designer
- To develop and master practical skills.
- To design and make
- To evaluate and improve
Aspirations for the Future
- Designers can have future careers in the following jobs:
- Mechanical engineer
- Aeronautical engineer
- Super yacht designer
- Videogames studies researcher
- Lego designer
- Jewellery designer
Lanesend Design Technology Skills Progression