At Lanesend Primary School, we focus on empowering our teachers to deliver a high quality physical education curriculum. In addition to this, we utilise the expertise of coaches in sports such as swimming and dance. Through this provision, our children develop physical fitness, stamina and an understanding of the body during exercise. This encourages them to be physically confident and develop a positive healthy lifestyle. Opportunities for children to compete in sport enables them to build character and resilience, and feel a sense of personal success in an atmosphere of healthy competition.
Characteristics of a Quality Sports Person
- A love of P.E; a willingness to participate eagerly in every lesson, highly positive attitudes and the ability to make informed choices about engaging fully in extra-curricular sport.
- The ability to acquire new knowledge and skills competently and develop an in-depth understanding of P.E. and sport.
- The willingness to practise skills in a wide range of different activities and situations, alone, in small groups and in teams. To apply these skills in chosen activities to achieve high levels of performance.
- Sustained high levels of physical fitness.
- A healthy lifestyle, achieved by eating sensibly, keeping hydrated and exercising regularly.
- The ability to remain physically active for sustained periods of time and an understanding of the importance of this in promoting long-term health and well-being.
- The ability to take the initiative and become excellent young leaders: organising; officiating; evaluating what needs to be done to improve and motivating and instilling excellent sporting attitudes in others.
- Demonstrates originality, imagination and creativity in their techniques, tactics and choreography. Shows knowledge of how to improve their own and others’ performance and the ability to work independently for extended periods of time without the need of guidance or support.
- The ability to swim at least 25 metres before the end of Year 6 and knowledge of how to remain safe in and around water.
Expectations of a Quality Sports Person
- To participate enthusiastically in a range of sporting activities
- To display a desire to succeed
- To work effectively as part of a team
- To demonstrate a positive attitude and support towards children of all abilities
- To be able to celebrate success whilst showing sportsmanship
- To move on from defeat as a learning point
- To continually strive to improve regardless of ability
- To show resilience to challenge
Aspirations for the Future
Sports People can have future careers in the following jobs:
- Professional Sports Person
- Personal Trainer / Fitness instructor
Lanesend PE Skills Progression
Link to Get Set 4 PE https://pe.getset4education.co.uk/?publicaccesstoken=fe0G5E72Q%2bmX9HnJIAi6hHN%2f4zXyqc8tuaPLr80qkaE%3d