At Lanesend Primary School, we want our children to be successful and proficient mathematicians who can solve problems, fluently recall facts rapidly and reason mathematically while justifying their reasoning. This will provide them with the essential life skills required to be financially capable, while understanding and contributing to the world around them. It will allow them to create solutions to problems in a range of settings.
Characteristics of a Quality Mathematician
- A love of maths and commitment to developing their mathematical skills.
- An understanding of the important concepts and an ability to make connections within mathematics.
- A broad range of skills in using and applying mathematics.
- Fluent knowledge and recall of number facts and the number system.
- The ability to show initiative in solving problems in a wide range of contexts.
- The ability to think independently and to persevere when faced with challenges, showing a confidence of success.
- The ability to embrace the value of learning from mistakes.
- The ability to reason, generalise and make sense of solutions.
- Fluency in performing written and mental calculations and mathematical techniques.
- A wide range of mathematical vocabulary.
Expectations of a Quality Mathematician
- To understand the properties of shapes
- To describe position, direction and movement
Aspirations for the Future
Mathematicians can have future careers in the following jobs:
Lanesend Numeracy Skills Progression